Monday, December 24, 2012

From Haydn Trezise - memories of yesteryear


Hi John Paull,
                      I don't think we know one another but nevertheless I am responding to your recent piece in 'The Cornishman'  about memories of yesteryear.

My name is Haydn Trezise I will be 77 years young in January. I am from Newlyn and attended the Boardschool on Chywoone Hill. In fact I lived in a house right opposite the school and next door to the little shop on the corner.

We had a Jimmy Paul at the school but his surname was with the one letter L.  I also have a vague memory of a Paull but no recollections of other details.

I think most of us boys enjoyed the same activities that you've mentioned although our lugworms were dug mostly in the Newlyn harbour. I've atached a couple of pictures that you might find of interest, especially if you recall fishing off the North Pier wall. We've all wondered what happened to the camerman. Another great pastime of ours was playing football and cricket on the Newlyn Green alongside the Newlyn Art Gallery.

 In those years they seemed to be lovely long lazy hazy summer days, Lots of sunshine, we blocked out the rainy days. Sometimes we challenged a group of boys from Penzance and played a game of football in the Penlee Park, with either trees for goalposts or a pile of jackets. Happy days. 

Our table tennis was played in the Trinity Chapel Youth Club but a couple of our better players, Stanley Richards and Jimmy Glover did play at the YMCA. Jimmy is the Dad of Helen Glover, a recent Olympian in the single sculls. Were'nt the sparks from the hobnailers great in the dark.

I think your idea of a blog sounds reasonable but from my experience, so many in my age group are not into computers and of course there are many who are no longer with us. Sad  to say but the only way is up !!

Very Best Wishes for 2013
                                         
Haydn Trezise


No comments: