Thursday, January 31, 2013

Like captured fireflies......


I'd like to share this inspirational poem by John Steinbeck 
with those of you 
who haven't read it. 

It comes from a conversation, described in America and Americans, Viking Press, 2002,  that Steinbeck had with his eleven-year old son who was having some issues with school. 

John Steinbeck listened attentively to his son, and, in response,  recalled the teacher who had the biggest impact on him when he was young and at school.

Later, when addressing teachers during a strike in San Francisco, Steinbeck read his poem, 
Like Captured Fireflies, an uplifting, beautifully worded poem based on the conversation he'd had with his son, a poem I used over and over again in my teaching days.

Enjoy.


Like Captured Fireflies

In her classroom our speculations ranged the world.
She aroused us to book waving discussions.
Every morning we came to her carrying new truths, new facts, new ideas,
Cupped and sheltered in our hands
like captured fireflies.

When she went away a sadness came over us,
But the light did not go out.

She left her signature upon us,
The literature of the teacher
who writes on children’s minds.

I’ve had many teachers who taught us
soon forgotten things,

But only a few like her who created in me a new thing a new attitude, a new hunger.

I suppose that to a large extent I am the unsigned manuscript of that teacher.
What deathless power lies
in the hands of such a person.
                                                                                 

John Steinbeck

Great, isn't it?

I shared this with those who attended the memorial service for my dear friend David Hawkins when he passed away. I could think of no other to describe David's impact on me and countless others...........

1 comment:

Jen Gamblin said...

I love this piece, John. Loved it when you shared it at Friends' and it's been taped to my classroom wall since day one. It's how I think of you.