Monday, February 4, 2013

1970 The Secret of the Cottonwood Star


Way back in 1970, as part of our work at The Mountain View Center for Environmental Education, 
David Hawkins, Elwyn Richardson, and I spent a lot of time at 
Wounded Knee, 
the Ogllala Sioux Reservation in Manderson, South Dakota.



Elwyn showing David a fossil he'd just spotted lying in the crusty earth in The Badlands.

Late one afternoon, after a fossil hunting hike in The Badlands with my friends, Pat Pumpkin Seed and Rog Red Elk, we sat and rested in the shade of a cottonwood tree.

Pat and Rog showed me a handful of dried cottonwood twigs 
they'd picked up under the tree.

"These are home to the stars, John Paull," said Pumpkin Seed, 
as he broke one of the twigs in half, then held up both pieces to the sky above.

Curious, I wanted to know more. 
In his deep, hoarse voice, Rog shared the beautiful story 
and ritual of the cottonwood tree star with me.

It blew me away. 
Here's the story.


Enjoy.

The Secret of the Star…..

My ancestors, he said,  believed all things
come from Mother Earth.

 They believed that stars form in the earth and, when ready,
 search for the roots of the magical cottonwood trees.

The tiny stars  finally come to rest in the small twigs
at the end of the cottonwood branches.

Here, they wait.................until they are needed.

When the Spirit of the Night Sky decides that she needs 
more twinkling, beautiful stars, 
she calls on
the Wind Spirit to shake all the cottonwood trees.

The Wind Spirit blows and blows, and, 
as the cottonwood twigs break off, 
the twinkling stars are released 
and race up to a special place in the Night Sky.

So, If YOU, John Paull,  want to add a new star to the night sky, 
find some cottonwood twigs, 
wait for a clear night, 
and hold up your twigs to the sky –

and SNAP!  


Then, look up into the night sky again.

Can you see YOUR star twinkling?

Imagine.........

You have added a beautiful new star to the
                    kingdom of the night sky......

"See?" said Pat, showing me a star hidden in the broken twig.
"Do it, John Paull, and dedicate your star to someone you love."



I searched around the base of a cottonwood tree and collected some dried twigs.
I broke one at the growth ring that circled the middle of the twig.
I stared at each end.........

And, hey, there, amazingly, it was  - a beautiful, perfect little star


"THAT star has been resting there, waiting you to release it." said Rog.
"YOU have just added a new star to the sky above."

"Give the star a name..........someone who's dear to you"

My first star, which still shines up there every night, 

I dedicated to my Mum.

Bless her.




I have collected and used cottonwood twigs as a community building ritual 
with students 
of all ages ever since, 
releasing countless beautiful stars to the night sky.



No comments: