Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Day

I know tomorrow, Christmas Day, it's traditional in Great Britain, after the midday Christmas meal,  to listen to the Queen on the radio.

Thinking about that brought back memories of Coronation Day, June 2nd, 1953.  
Taken from Through My Eyes: On Becoming a Teacher, by John Paull, available from Amazon




On the Friday before Coronation Week in June, 1953, when Princess Elizabeth was to be crowned Queen Elizabeth 2nd of England, Graham ‘Scotcher’ Rowe, Dudley’s brother, asked me if I wanted to go potato picking. Farmer Matthews was looking for more kids to gather his early crop of potatoes, in Gulval, a small village about two miles from my home. The pay was one shilling an hour. My brain went in to top gear: eight hours a day, for six days, the whole week. That, I worked out, would be two pounds eight shillings for the week. Wow! Yes, please. That was a lot of dosh. Imagine, I thought, clutching my precious amber, what I’d do with all that money.

”You have to wear your wellies, Johnny. You got a proper  pair, ain’t you? We’re working in the muddy field all day.”
“I’ve been before. Spud picking’s ‘ard. ‘urts your back. You’ll see.”
“Good dosh, though.”
“Oh, bring a sarney for grub, ok?”
“And some pop.”

Mum and Dad agreed that I could try it out and see what I thought of spending all day bending and picking potatoes.
“Can’t wear your Hopalong watch, though,” said Dad.
 Get earth in it and it won’t work.”
“Leave it home, please.”

As we had to be in Gulval by 8 o’clock, Graham and Dudley, wearing their black wellies, knocked on my front door really early on Saturday morning.
Ready? Got your sarney?”
“Great. Les go.”

Whistling, we skipped down the back lane, and turned on the main road towards Gulval. When we reached the farm, Graham took me to Farmer Matthews who was sitting and smoking a woodbine on his red tractor at the gate of the potato field. Mr. Matthews asked me my name.
“You Arthur’s middle ‘un?”
He knew my dad.
Watch what Graham and Dudley do, ok?”
Stay with them, alright, my cock?”
You do the same thing, Johnny, alright?”
“Today, Monday and Coronation Day, right?”
“ School’s closed for the week, then, isn’t it?”
“Go over with the other kids and fetch yerself a few bags.”
“ Put your spuds in them.” “Put your snap in the barn.”

The three of us picked up some sacks. At eight o’clock, the farmer started his tractor and started ploughing, followed by about a dozen boys, all clutching their brown sacks. I quickly learned what to do – you see the potato, you bend over, pick it up, and throw it in your sack. And then you pick up another, and another. When your sack is filled, you tie it at the top with some string and leave it in the field.

I soon learned that potato picking was not much fun. In fact, following the noisy, smelly, tractor as it turned over the soft deep brown earth, bending over picking up potatoes, shaking off the coating of damp soil, not having time to look closely at the stones, the fat, brown earthworms, bagging and leaving them for the farmer to collect later, was, as Graham said, backbreaking work.

At 12 noon, after fours hours of work, we were more than ready for some rest and for something to eat. We sat in the sun on the top of a hayrick, ate our sandwiches, and washed them down with some pop. Work started again around one o’clock.

The day finished at four o’clock in the afternoon.
I arrived home at five o’clock, aching from head to toe, dirty, and absolutely exhausted. I wasn’t sure if I could last all week.

When the three of us left for the farm on Tuesday morning, June 2nd, we saw Mrs. Donnisthorne hanging Union Jack flags outside her two front bedroom windows.

“Don’t forget the party, Johnny,” she shouted. “It’s in the street, St. Michael’s. Your mum coming?”

“Hey, Mrs. Donnisthorne,” I replied,  “Yes, I think she’s coming, not sure, though, Grandad isn’t very well.……..I’ll be back in time, though, I hope.”

“Hey, you two,” I said, “let’s get back for the street party, ok?”
“You bet, Johnny. Ain’t missin’ that.” answered Graham.

As we bent our backs, filled our sacks with more and more potatoes, we so looked forward to the Coronation Party. We loved our new queen and wanted to be part of the street celebrations.
We left the farm just after 4 o’clock, anxious to get home, get washed, and join the fun. Walking as fast as our aching bodies allowed, we turned the corner into St. Michael’s Street in record time.

We had missed the fun. The mums were taking down the tables and stacking the chairs. We’d missed the balloons, flags, the free pop, the singing, and the hot sausage rolls. Scotcher swore.

“Bloody ‘ell!”
Ivan James, the young kid with glasses from three doors up, stared at us and shouted:

You’ve missed it, Johnny.” “Where you been?”
“Been pickin’ spuds, Johnny? You, too, Scotcher?”
“Missed a great party. We’ve been singing and eating crisps, drinkin’ Corona and stuff.”
“And waving flags.”  “Dead good fun.”

Never mind.” Said Mum. “Here. Have these.”

Mum had saved me two sausage rolls that Mrs. Donnisthorpe had made, and a bottle of Mrs. Monkton’s home-made ginger beer.
Better have this first, though.”“Quick! It’s melting."
She handed me a Wall’s chocolate ice cream bar.
Although the ice cream was melting and ran between my fingers, I wolfed it down.
It was some compensation for missing the street party.

After eight days of picking potatoes, my muscles were so tired. I felt very proud, though, when I handed my pay packet to my mum. She counted out my earnings, and, smiling, gave me back eight shillings.

 “That enough?” she asked. “You can have more you know.” “And, Johnny…….thank you.”

My potato-picking job lasted two more weekends and I wasn’t too unhappy when the last potato was picked and bagged.

No comments: