Wednesday, December 26, 2012

1950s Fish and Chip Shops - and Pubs

Another childhood memory.............the 1950s............

Oh, what a delight it was to have a tanner's worth of chips, wrapped up in yesterday's newspaper, and then eat them in the street,

I remember going to the Fish and Chip shop at the top of Adelaide Street now for sixpenneth of chips, and pleading..........
"Can I have some fish batter, too, please? " I'd ask. "Can I?" "Love the batter, you know I do."
The greasy batter would be put on top of the chips which I'd then lace with vinegar and salt. Yummy!!

Tony remembers these Fish and Chip shops around The Battlefield - that is the rows of houses in about ten streets where I lived:


 (1) Towards the top of St Mary's Street oppossite the Convent. I remember they had a fire and it eventually closed and was turned into a house.
(2) Sea View Fish and Chip Shop at the opposite end of St Mary's Street ... it's now the only one left. I was there a week ago!
(3) On the corner of Rosevean Road ... closed many years ago.
(4) At the bottom of Adelaide Street ... also closed a few years ago.



JP again - And there was my dad's favorite, at the top of Causewayhead, run by a family, two sisters and a brother. It was a fish shop by day and a fish and chip shop by night.

Yummy!!

And I remember the pubs (a link to Fish and chips, perhaps?) and there lots of them in Penzance - not because I was old enough to drink, but because of family connections:

My grandfather, Jim Wilkes, kept the Globe Inn, at the top of Queen Street, my grandmother's sister, kept the pub half way up Mount Street (I forget its name)  and her cousin kept The Star, near Opie's the Chemist in Market Jew Street!!


Can you remember them?

I remember the smell of cigars and cigarettes, and the sound of the beer glasses clinging when being filled with a pint of light brown ale. Mild was the favorite drink of the older male sect - Bitter the favorite of the younger generation. Women drank sherry and gin.




No comments: