Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Magpie nests! They Are SOOOOOOO big!



This young lady has been busy building her nest in the neighbor's fir tree.
She, and her mate, become very agitated when either I or Matilda, my cat, stand close.

WOW!! Don't magpies keep their nests safe! Can't believe how chatty they are......especially when Matilda gets too close to THE tree!! I can almost hear what the birds are saying....."PUSH ff, Matilda, push off!"

On a walk this afternoon I came across three magpie nests.........I got very close to them.......I didn't realize how big they are!
 It appears as if the magpie uses nothing but twigs and branches.

 I wonder how many twigs and branches - and I wonder how long did it take to build?

 Does the male help in the construction process?



24th May

Great activity on the nearby tree this morning. Two of the parent magpies took umbridge at the squirrel that was getting too close to their nest. They squawked and squawked, then chased him down the trunk. The little fella was not amused.

I'm wondering how many eggs the magpie family is looking after.........does anyone know?

29th June

Saw one of the babes today, being closely guarded by its dad.








And they came for lunch......

Mid July

The family of 7 are very noisy and fill up our days with their bickering. They appear to eat whatever they can find and are somewhat intolerant of other birds who come to our gardens for their lunch and dinner.

matilda, too, is irritated by them when she takes her walk around the back of the house.

The deer and rabbits aren't amused, either.