Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A delightful memoir from Charles Rathbone - on being head of school



                           A DAY OF FIRE AND FLOOD

Being head of school is a headache of a job.  Chief cook and bottle-washer, jack-of-all-trades, a multi-tasking servant/leader all in one, the position calls for educational/philosophical/spiritual leadership, the fiscal acumen of a dedicated, detail-pouncing bookkeeper, the smooth tongue of a hospitality hostess, the ear of an orchestra conductor, the management dexterity of an octopus, the maintenance skills of Mr. Fix-it, the thick skin of a rhinoceros and, always, the enthusiasm of a cheerleader.

My day began uneventfully.  As usual, I entered the school by the side door, hauling in three crates of milk left there around 6:00 a.m.  Bringing them inside got the milk into the cooler sooner and also removed temptation from the children of another school who habitually walked down that same street and who had been known to help themselves.

Once inside, I listened for the fans.  Ours was a two story brick building originally a private high school.  We only used the ground floor, for the fire marshal had disallowed our inhabiting the second floor without significant and costly renovations.  Yet the second floor was still there, and a pair of broad stairwells at either end of the building provided gigantic sluiceways for any warm air to rise.  Thus the architectural configuration required a good 45 minutes of hot air pumping before the lower level could begin heating up, while the antique furnace itself needed its own 45 minutes before the fans would have any hot air to blow.  So when I listened for, and heard, the fans, I knew that all was well -that the furnace was hot and the blowers were at work. 

Next on my morning checklist was to determine whether the school had been cleaned the previous evening.  During my tenure, we went through three teams of custodians -one was an organized but expensive janitorial service that assigned a different crew in each evening, one a moonlighting worker who brought the whole family to pitch in -his wife, his resentful teenage daughters, even the doddering grandmother; and the third was a manic war veteran, whose spit-and-polish approach was breathtaking in its splendor until he would disappear, without notice, on a three-day bender.  On those mornings when I discovered that something had gone wrong and the building had not been cleaned, I would be met with the sight of overflowing wastebaskets and the stench of yesterday's lunch.  If I then shifted into absolute top gear and raced around from room to room, I could do a quick sweep of the two main hallways, get all the wastebaskets together near the door to the dumpster and usually manage to fake it.

Fake it, that is, except for Isobel.  Isobel was one of my finest teachers, though her high standards extended especially to classroom cleanliness.  Knowing that she would flatly refuse the children entry if she deemed the room unsatisfactory, I would race off, when I had to, to the storage area, haul out the hefty commercial vacuum and get to work vacuuming that one classroom before any teachers or children arrived.

On the day in question -the day of fire and flood- the custodians had come, the milk hadn't been stolen and the fans were properly blowing.    So I did one last check of the classrooms to make certain no animals had died overnight (that was a lesson learned from a most unfortunate accident that I won't relate here) and, finally, at long last, got to my office, checked there for any unknown emergencies and, satisfied, went out to unlock the front door. 

I felt a special tension that morning, for I knew a long day lay ahead.  It was Friday, and I had been invited to address conference of teachers that was gathering for the weekend.  With less than an hour and a half after the end of school, I would have to go home, shower, pack, change clothes and head out to the airport, as the conference in question was in fact some distance away.

At the end of each day, my office was a busy beehive.  Freed from being with the children all day, teachers inevitably had requests or questions; the school secretary would have a fistful of paperwork for me to sign (plus a host of supposedly short questions that had been passed on to me, through her, during the day). And then there were always a couple of parents requesting an audience, often with a question, sometimes an issue or occasionally simply a rant.  In the midst of such tumult, my facility for effective and friendly triage was often overwhelmed, though I did what I could to keep everyone happy and the wheels moving.

This being Friday, there were fewer teachers, and only a couple of parents waiting, when a younger student burst into the office to report that Sebastian had set a tree on fire out in front of the school. Well, fire is one of those words, like knife and gun that get a principal's attention.  I shot out of my seat, asking, over my shoulder and on the run, for my secretary to reschedule the remaining parents and I was out the door.  Sure enough, there was a tree on fire, and though it wasn't a huge conflagration yet, there were other trees nearby for the flames to feed upon, as well as wood window frames on the building itself.  Sizing things up, I sent the gawkers away, told Sebastian to go to my office, call his mother, and tell her that he was forbidden to leave until she came, personally, to pick him up.  I then raced off to the boys' room where I thought there might be a bucket.

There was.  Inside the boys' bathroom with its sinks and stalls was a tiny janitor's closet, replete with shelves of paper goods, a stinky mop and, most importantly, a deep, dirty sink with hot and cold running water and a large bucket.  Filling it, I raced back outside discovering that the flames had, indeed, spread to the next small tree.  (These were, as I recall, spindly, ill-nourished, un-pruned, five or six-foot high evergreens, offering dead branches and dried needles as ready kindling.)  I decided to handle the problem myself and not involve the fire department, knowing that the fire department would inevitably bring both police and press.  Our little school needed no such publicity.

I returned to the well two or three times before being satisfied that the danger had passed, and then of course had to spend time with the perpetrator and his mother.  It seems he had purchased something called "fire paper" from a local magic store.  Rip off a sheet, expose it to the oxygen, and, lo, it bursts into flame.  Cool! While demonstrating this discovery, Sebastian had inadvertently dropped one sheet into the nearby tree.  Witnesses -his audience- fled.  These facts came out during our twenty-minute conference, after which, finally, mother and son left, leaving me to lock the front door and perform my final building check.   

One end of the hall checked out fine, but as I started back down the other way, I noticed something glistening on the floor.  It turned out to be a slowly growing puddle emanating from the boys' bathroom! Apparently all the while I had been dealing with the burning bush and with Sebastian and his mother, the spigots in the janitor's closet had been operating full blast, filling the clogged sink and overflowing into the room.

Before I was ever hired, the school's Building & Grounds Committee had made a decision to cover the original bathroom tile with what is known as a "poured floor."  This involves putting down a seamless stretch of epoxy that covers the entire space, which in this instance meant an area of approximately ten feet by thirty feet. Calculating its cubic measurement (there was a drop-down from the door sill of perhaps two and one half or three inches) and figuring the ratio of gallons of water per cubic foot, my son informs me that this allowed somewhere between 470 and 500 gallons of water to built up before any spillage into the hallway.  Once again, I had my work cut out for me, although at this point I was entirely alone in the building and facing an inflexible deadline set at the airport.

Large commercial vacuums -"shop vacs," they are called- are built to suck up virtually anything, including perhaps four gallons of water before needing to be emptied. The math that day was simple: Four gallons plus the weight of the machine itself times many, many loads equals a very tired back.  But I got it done, made the quickest turnaround imaginable and got myself to the plane on time.  So that's the story of one unusual day in the life of a school head -- but there is an epilogue.

Within the hour, I was in Michigan.  The organizers met me at the airport and spirited me off to the conference site, where two hundred teachers awaited my words of wisdom.  By a fortunate quirk of timing, I had done some research on a subject that was attracting national attention, so, for eighteen months or so, I had been on the lecture circuit, with folks all over the country asking (and paying) for my supposed expertise.  I had developed a nice little well illustrated dog-and-pony show and some considered (albeit prepackaged) phrasing.

But on this day of fire and flood, with no dinner in my belly and exhausted beyond belief, I was not myself.  For forty minutes that night, I was open, spontaneous, focused, a welcoming earth mother whose unconditional positive regard for each and every participant in the room rivaled that of a perfect therapist. I was Carl Rogers and Mr. Rogers rolled up into one.  I validated their concerns, anticipated their questions, produced fresh responses to questions I had answered so often before.  In a word, I was hot, a preacher on fire!  Alas, the next morning I was my former self again -not bad, but not brilliant.






2/13

No comments: