Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Science Times, NYT, March 17th, 2020



It's spring break............and coronavirus 'keep yourself to yourself and wash your hands frequently' times. Making the most of the days as we do what were told and stay at home.

As it's such a beautiful morning, I gardened a little, watered the two new trees planted a couple of days ago, fed the birds, admired the shapes of the few white clouds, and then washed my hands and  sat down and picked up yesterday's NYT.

The photographs and the article on the first page, THE MARVEL IN A BIRD'S NEST, caught my eye. Sipping my cup of tea, I read and reread the research being done by Dr. Hunter King at the University of Akron in Ohio - how do birds build their nests?

Fascinating....................and, apparently, Dr. King has been researching the topic for a considerable time, with colleagues, and doesn't yet have the scientific answer how thousands of different bird species build successful nests, but are all different in one way or another. Incredible.

A must read for those who are curious about yet another of Mother Nature's delights.

I'll read it again later after I've looked at my small collection of nests, including the hummingbird that uses spider web silk when making a home for its young, and the nest made from horse hair made by an unknown bird.

The Science Times also has a very topical article on the coronavirus, WHAT EXACTLY DOES THE VIRUS DO TO THE BODY?       Scary.................................and another on how soap works, AN OLD FRIEND REMAINS AS RELIABLE AS EVER.

Thank you, NYT, you've given me plenty to think about today!!











I showed Jeannine this blog.............and, a minute later, she brought in this nest from the front garden!!

No comments: