Sunday, November 24, 2013

Story Eight - Going to The Regal

1950
Going to the Regal

If we were dead lucky, Saturday morning meant a trip for me and my younger brother, Charles, to the morning picture show at The Regal, the cinema close to The Globe, my grandfather’s pub.

The film show cost sixpence. Mum would give us a shilling and stuff our pockets with ginger biscuits and sweets.

We’d sit with scores of other kids and, as the lights dimmed, shout and laugh and clap as we watched the cartoons and the action films. Dick Barton, Special Agent, was my favorite.

Half way through the films, there’d be an interval.

A lady appeared carrying a big box tray filled with ice cream and lollipops.

We never had money for an ice lolly, making do with the sticky lemon sherberts and broken biscuits in our pockets.

I loved this Saturday treat.

There was one Saturday morning trip to the Regal I remember well.

On our way to the pictures, as me and Charles were walking past The Globe, I saw a florin in the gutter. I couldn’t believe my luck. I picked it up, showed Charles, and said, “Hey, boy, guess what we’re having this morning? An ORANGE LOLLY! One each!”

And we did…….and they tasted SO good! I especially enjoyed Dick Barton that morning.

I did wonder, though, who lost the two bob b

No comments: