Friday, January 4, 2013

A COMMON SENSE philosophy of Education



A COMMON SENSE philosophy of education

A DIFFERENT, BUT HONEST, VIEW

It’s three in the morning and my mind is buzzing. So, knowing I won’t fall asleep again, I’m going to get up, go to my study, open my laptop, and type.

It’s now 3.10. Here I am, in my pyjamas, at my laptop, with Matilda, our pussy cat, on my knees.

So, why is my head buzzing with stuff?

First, some context.
As a former principal and teacher advisor, over the past 15 years I visited and interacted with students and teachers in over 50 classrooms, in 20 or more schools. I saw effective,[1] successful [2] teaching. I saw teachers, some new, some experienced, battle with students who were appallingly disrespectful. I have seen teachers ignite children’s thinking and seen students metaphorically take teachers apart.
I have seen the most carefully planned lesson fall in pieces to the floor. I have seen teachers excited about their children’s learning. I have seen teachers cry. I have seen teachers angry when undermined by their leaders.

 I continue to receive emails from such teachers.
Here’s last night’s from J.

Hey JP :) doing better with a week off from school under my belt. I still feel like I'm struggling, and battling students more than helping them... So strange how hard it is to put into action all the theories or strategies I can talk about, but struggle actually doing. Anyhow, I keep showing up, and reflecting, and trying, so I figure I'm learning and may find my stride some year soon. On the job hunt to return to Colorado... Expanding search to consider non-classroom positions/non traditional education/arts positions. Who knows :)

IT was last night’s reading of this particular email that set my mind on fire.

So, here’s what’s buzzing in my head:

I started teaching in the early 1960s at a school that became a place to visit if you wanted to see Open Education in play. The Headmaster encouraged his teachers to set up and resource activities that motivated and engaged their pupils, and thus give them the drive to read and write and measure and draw. Academics linked our teaching to the philosophies of Jean Piaget and John Dewey. Much later, this style of teaching became known as CONSTRUCTIVISM. [3]
Today, trying to teach like a constructivist, hasn’t, it appears, helped many of those who have gone into public education, where, by and large, the teacher battles against  large classes, imposed curricula, externally created tests, poverty, lack of parental guidance and support, being told what and how to teach, being evaluated by someone watching from the back, clipboard in hand, and , finally being pubicly judged as a failure by politicians.

So, Let me be blunt. It’s time to cut out the crap in education.

It’s time for a COMMON SENSE approach to teaching.

It’s time to honor teachers and trust them to teach their kids in the way they feel is best – best for them, and, therefore, best for their students.
It’s time to put in place everything that teachers need to create classrooms where one feels community, courtesy, respect, and sees an obvious passion for learning.

It’s time to cut out inappropriate, expensive professional development programs where those not in the classroom tell those who are what and how to teach.

Here’s my COMMON SENSE approach to creating optimum teaching conditions: 

·       First, recognize that teachers are overworked and underpaid. Let’s give them a salary commensurate with their education, dedication, and experience.Then,
·       Let each teacher OWN his/her classroom, its resources, and what goes on inside.
·       Make them responsible for identifying learning goals for each student.
·       Create easily accessible funds for minor purchases that support individual children’s learning needs.
·       Consider altering class sizes (I think that an elementary class, for example, should have between 16 – 20, students, mixed ability, mixed gender).
·       Bring in more professionals who are qualified and adept at helping those students with significant social/learning issues.
·       Acquire appropriate furniture for student group seating, storage, display.
·       Create a deep well filled with proven ideas that enrich all subjects (including appropriate technology for kids and teachers, appropriate selection of teaching videos that bring science, mathematics, social studies, art and literacy alive)
·       Create a free food program that is accessible to students throughout each and every day.
·       Create a timetable that gives teachers appropriate breaks at regular intervals.
·       Create a timetable that allows for morning and afternoon meetings with students.
·       Create weekly one-on-one opportunities for the teacher to interact with a trusted colleague/mentor to share ideas and experiences.
·       Involve parents more and more in classroom life.

And, finally, hire
·       An alert principal ( aformer teacher, of course) who will introduce all of the above, AND cover classroom teaching when the teacher needs a break.

OK. It’s now 5 a.m. Time for a kip.
John P

PS  Had this email from J today……….

Happy New Year John Paull!

So far the New Year's energy has carried me through a pleasant morning of teaching.
Just relaxing and being myself a little.
Who would of thought that's all it takes :)

See? J
The proof of the pie lies in the eating…………..



[1] Effective classrooms - where I see what kids can do when their inner passions and interests are honored and respected.
[2] Successful classrooms – I mean those where I see and feel kids engaged in learning – reading, writing, thinking, talking and working with each other and with their teacher.
[3] Constructivist teaching is based on the belief that learning occurs as learners are actively involved in a process of meaning and knowledge construction as opposed to passively receiving information. Learners are the makers of meaning and knowledge. Constructivist teaching fosters critical thinking, and creates motivated and independent learners. This theoretical framework holds that learning always builds upon knowledge that a student already knows. Constructivists suggest that learning is more effective when a student is actively engaged in the learning process rather than attempting to receive knowledge passively. A wide variety of methods claim to be based on constructivist learning theory. Most of these methods rely on some form of guided discovery where the teacher avoids most direct instruction and attempts to lead the student through questions and activities to discover, discuss, appreciate, and verbalize the new knowledge.

2 comments:

John Paull said...

I just read the blog and agree with you. It does make a lot of sense, and I don’t see those things happening either. Even more so in charter schools (which were once (maybe still are?) the answer of so many conservative types).

I have come to the same realization as Sam—if a student doesn’t want to cooperate, s/he won’t. It doesn’t matter if I’m the oldest teacher or the youngest teacher. It depends on the day, their mood, and the choices they make. One day a student will tell me I’m a horrible teacher and the next day admit he doesn’t pay attention. One thing I do know—there does not seem to be any consequences associated with any of these misbehaviors.

And Sam’s comment is very powerful—we are the teachers who come back every day and try again.

Ok—so speaks a teacher with the goal of leaving teaching for my own personal well-being. But until then, I will be continuing to believe in the students and come up with ways to help them learn.

John Paull said...

Hi John, I did look at the blog. The common sense entry does make a lot of sense, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. When I am in the classroom though it seems like I am the only teacher that experiences those things. It is nice to know that I am not alone. That makes it easier to go on. I get the feeling that the next person wouldn't have the problems that I do, but when I think about it I realize that they would. Things won't be better for education if I quit. They might be better for me, but then I wouldn't accomplish my goal.

When I started at this year I observed the classroom of a seventh grade teacher who was doing well with a program called "No Nonsense Nurturing" that the district is promoting to help with classroom management. I was quite impressed with what she was doing. Just before the break she quit because she couldn't handle the students anymore. All the things that are supposed to work in the classroom may or may not work at any given time. Ultimately if the students don't want to cooperate they will misbehave no matter what the teacher does.

They had only two good candidates to replace her. They both came in and taught lessons in the class and decided they didn't want the job. I don't know who is going to be teaching her classes when the break is over. When my students tell me I am a bad teacher I think to myself "I am not the perfect teacher, but I have a lot of good ideas and I come back every day to try another one. That is a lot more than most people would do."