Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The 4 * Mousie Hotel

All my bird seed is stacked high in the garage. If I leave the door open, I know the deer and the magpies come and help themselves. Sometimes the little mice that live contentedly in the garage get inside and feast and feast and feast.

Bertie and Fiona, of course,  check out the garage every evening, hoping to catch and play with a mouse eating its dinner. They're so naughty!



Yesterday morning, the sun came out from behind the dark clouds, lighting up the frost on the grass and bushes, a perfect time, I thought, for a drive and a walk in the countryside. I put on my thick cords, my warmest jumper and my woolly hat, then went to the garage to find my winter furry boots.


When I eventually found lying in a corner, I sat down, undid the right boot laces, and put my hand inside the right boot. My fingers touched something furry..........uhu, I thought............someone, some little fella, perhaps, has been inside my boot! I put my fingers around the fur and gently pulled out .........this:

A fabulous little bed for a mousie, made from fur and bird seed.......

Take a look at the silver quarter next to the bedding - gives an idea of the size of the mouse bed.
WOW!! That was exciting! Full of anticipation, I checked my other boot..........and, hey, there was another mousie bed!!

This one hadn't been made so well, though........must have been a little fella mousie, 
I suppose...

So, I thought, my fur boots are THE ideal hotel for the little guys who live in my garage! 
That's so GREAT!

Because I want to share this story with my young scientists this week, I put the Mousie Hotel beds in a pocket museum........


BUT, on Friday, after my school/classroom sessions when I'll show the pocket museum and its contents, I'm going to put the beds in a safe and warm Mousie Hotel spot in the garage and hope that the little furry guys find their beds (and a snack) over the weekend..................it is getting colder, after all!!

I'll have a word with Bertie and Fiona, of course, to be kind to our guests............

Bertie, behave yourself!!
Fiona, make sure he does!!







No comments: