Saturday, November 22, 2014

THANKSGIVING DAY science...........



As Thanksgiving Day is fast approaching, I thought you would like to do some Thanksgiving Day science. What do you think? Are you up for it?    I bet you are………..so, here goes:

                       

WISHBONES               

I collect chicken and turkey wishbones. 

Why? Well, because I can break them with someone and we can both make a wish……..

But, as exciting for me, I collect them because there’s a great deal of scientific interest in chicken and turkey wishbones.
Did you know that?

The V shaped bone that we call the wishbone is named the FURCULA bone by the scientists who dig for dinosaur fossils. It turns out that bird-like dinosaurs (called theropods) had the same shape bone, and is, thus, a major link to the modern bird!!

Can you imagine that? Chickens and turkeys - and all birds, in fact - are descendants of dinosaurs? Amazing, isn’t it?





After enjoying the traditional Thanksgiving Day roasted chicken, I remove and clean the wish bone and dip it in a small saucer of  hydrogen peroxide. When it's bleached a shiny white, I take it out of the saucer, dry it and put it into a pocket museum!!

A chicken and a turkey wishbone
My pocket museum tin lid

Why don’t you do it? :)

OK, that’s it, your Thanksgiving Day science.......:)




No comments: