Monday, February 24, 2014

Today's must-read in the NYT

Alan Alda, Spokesman for Science
FEB. 24, 2014

PLA
A Conversation With Alan Alda
The actor turned educator talks about how science can be made clearer and more accessible to the public if served with a helping of improvisation.
CHICAGO — The most popular speaker at the recent meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science was not a scientist but one of science’s most high-profile advocates: the actor and writer Alan Alda.
Best known for his role as Hawkeye Pierce in the long-running television series “M*A*S*H,” Mr. Alda, 78, has a new mission: helping train scientists to communicate to a wider audience.
We spoke twice, for a total of two hours. What follows is an edited and condensed version of our conversations.
Q. In high school, were you a science type or an art type?
A. A little of both. I was living through C. P. Snow’s “Two Cultures,” art and science. This was the 1950s, right around the time he was thinking those famous thoughts. I knew I had to be a writer and actor — I’d been preparing for that since I was 8. But I was curious about science and nature, too.
Unfortunately, the way things were organized, I was forced to decide between them. In a way, the choice was made for me because the science teaching was so uncreative and discouraging. In biology, there was a teacher who talked about how when you cried, the tears got rid of toxins, so it was good for you to cry. I said, “What about the other way — is it good to laugh?” And the teacher said, “Please, be serious.”
Years later, it turns out that some scientists think it’s healthy to laugh. But a question like that, whether it turns out to be true or not, is a good thing to hear from a kid. You want to hear curiosity.
How did you become so passionate about science?
Through reading. When I was in my early 20s, I started reading every article of every issue of Scientific American. At the time, I’d been reading a lot about the paranormal and telepathy, and I thought Scientific American would help me know if any of that was true. There, I discovered a whole other way to think, based on evidence. And so I left my interest in spiritualism behind, in favor of critical thinking.
After that, I began to read books about science avidly. Even today, it’s what I mostly read.
You must have been thrilled when the magazine asked you to host its television series “Scientific American Frontiers.”
Oh, I think they asked a lot of people. I used to joke that a letter came addressed to “Occupant.”
I said I’d only be interested if they’d let me do the interviews. I saw it as a chance to learn about their work from scientists themselves. They took a chance on me because they didn’t know how it would turn out with someone who wasn’t a trained science journalist.
It was lucky they agreed, because in the process of doing the interviews, we came up with a different way of doing a science show. There were no set questions. I just came in, curious to understand the scientist’s work. And if I didn’t understand it, I’d badger them until I did.
Over the years, I must have done around 700 of these interviews, and I felt that in doing them I had stumbled onto something that could help solve a big problem the science community faces.
Which is?
That scientists often don’t speak to the rest of us the way they would if we were standing there full of curiosity. They sometimes spray information at us without making that contact that I think is crucial. If a scientist doesn’t have someone next to them, drawing them out, they can easily go into lecture mode. There can be a lot of insider’s jargon.
If they can’t make clear what their work involves, the public will resist advances. They won’t fund science. How are scientists going to get money from policy makers, if our leaders and legislators can’t understand what they do?
I heard from one member of Congress that at a meeting with scientists, the members were passing notes to one another: “Do you know what this guy is saying?” “No, do you?”
Don’t you find this sad because scientists have a great story to tell?
Every experiment is a great story. Every scientist’s life is a heroic story. There’s an attempt to achieve something of value, there’s the thrill of knowing the unknown against obstacles, and the ultimate outcome is a great payoff — if it can be achieved. Now, this is drama!
The Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science, how did that get started?
A few years, I began going around the country talking at universities and putting out this crazy idea: Could we teach courses to turn scientists into capable communicators? I believed I had techniques from acting, directing and writing that could help.
I didn’t get interest anywhere except at Stony Brook. We set up the Center for Communicating Science there, which a couple of years later they named after me.
You use acting improvisations to teach scientists to become better communicators. How does that work?
Well, we don’t do comedy improvisation or making things up. The object is to put people through games and exercises that force them to make contact with the other player. You have to observe the other person, anticipate what they are going to do. You almost have to read their minds.
We teach other skills too: how to distill their messages, how to do on-camera interviews, how to speak on panels. These are all things scientists have not been trained for and it’s useful for them to know.
Your center has initiated a project called “The Flame Challenge.” What is it?
It’s something from my childhood. When I was about 11, I got obsessed with what was happening in a flame. I tried to figure out why they were so different from anything else I had ever seen. It gave off heat and light and you could put your finger through it — it didn’t have substance, apparently. There was nothing like it. So I asked a teacher. “It’s oxidation!” she said, flatly. No elaboration. It shut me down.
So we started a contest for scientists: Tell us what a flame is in a way that an 11-year-old can understand. The point was to challenge scientists to explain something difficult in words that were both easy to understand and accurate. The first year we had 6,000 entries — kids and scientists. Now we have 20,000. This year, the question is “What is color?” I invite your readers to participate. The deadline is March 1.
Does it thrill you that you’re bringing C. P. Snow’s two cultures closer together?
You bet it does. Science and art are two long-lost lovers, yearning to be reunited. And now I get to be a matchmaker.



No comments: