Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Now a month has passed.................here's another blog on how I fill my time, remembering....



THIS I REMEMBER


The coronavirus has locked the entire population, well, nearly everyone, that is,  indoors..............but, fortunately, as I live in an area that is not surrounded by other homes, I can take a walk each day, out in the semi desert, on any one of several trails. I see no one, except the beautiful trees, yucca and cacti, all wanting a spring drink.

When I get home, I'm journaling, that is, using New York Times headlines in a home-made journal, and filling the pages with arty crafty doodles.

I'm also remembering a lot - which is somewhat of a contradiction as my memory is getting worse.
But, hey, to fill the time, I'm going to make brief notes of what's in my head each day as I take my morning walk.

Today it's my Dad.


.................................I remember my mum cooking Cornish Pasties, (yummy - crispy pastry wrapped around a variety of vegetables) wrapping one up, giving it to me, and I'd run down to the bus stop outside the railway station. My dad, a bus driver, wouls come right on time, and the passengers disembarked. I then gave my dad his pastie, he'd give me a big smile, then turn the corner into the station yard. He'd go into the snack bar, eat his pasty, dring a couple of cups of tea, then load up the bus with new passengers, and drive them to St. Ives. I think, though I'm not sure, this was a Friday routine, the day of the week when Mum always cooked her delicious pasties.

..........................I remembered this morning, when I was thinking about the super fish and chips Jeannine cooked and I ate last evening, sitting with my Mum by Dad's bed in hospital............years ago........
'Hazel,' he muttered, "I'd really love some cold shrimp to suck and chew."

I rushed down the street to the Fishmongers and bought a pound of locally caught and baked shrimp.

Ten minutes later, Dad was chomping the shrimp, his eyes full of smiles.......................bless him.

He passed away that weekend........

Hey, hey, Arthur Charles..............I still have the wishing rock that I found when walking with you and Mum on the beach, Monday, July 14th, 1947.............my 5th birtday!



And I remember the walk to the tin mine in Botallack...............



                              when you spotted a fox!!!



No comments: