Sunday, June 29, 2014

From a teacher's diary: 2006. What my brain looks like.......

Found this in my desk today, buried under a wad of papers.......

2006
After working in Jeannine's classroom on some science activities with a group of second graders, Jackson, aged 7, went back to his table, took out a sheet of paper and proceeded to draw. When he'd finished, he showed me what he had been doing. "Look, Mr. Paull, this is YOUR brain!"

I was taken aback. Jackson, it appears,  thought of my brain as an IDEA MACHINE.




He said I was a scientist and when I think about something that catches my eye, I decide either to push it to one side, or to keep thinking about it.  If I like the IDEA, though, Jackson said, it lights up a bulb in my head, and the IDEA gets bigger and bigger. As he talked, he pointed to the picture. "See? That's HOW it lights up!"

Jackson said that I probably think and think about it, and even share the IDEA with my friends, and continue to work and work on it. I won't leave it alone he said. When I have it, the BIG IDEA, that is,  absolutely clear in my brain, Jackson said that I sit, scratch my head, and slowly write everything down that's in my head, draw a few pictures, and send the IDEA and illustrations to a publishing company............:)

BRILLIANT!!

For those who know/knew me, do you think Jackson got it right?   :)

No comments: