Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A teacher's response to the NYT article I posted recently.......

Hi, John. 

People who complain about the quality of teacher candidates really aren't thinking about the situation. All college programs take the highest quality candidates. No program looks for less qualified candidates. If you want to turn people away who want to teach you are going to produce fewer teachers. If we keep running teachers out of the profession we need to be bringing in more teachers not fewer. If we want to produce fewer teachers with more qualifications we need to keep the teachers that we have. I kept telling my students who wanted to run me off "I'm the teacher you got because you got rid of the last teacher. If you don't like me you need to rethink your policy of trying to get rid of teachers." 

Middle school and high school students have trouble wrapping their heads around that idea though. Their parents should be old enough to put the logic pieces together, but they don't seem to get it either. Things seem to be going better for me this year though. 

Every day I feel a little more like a teacher when I am in front of the class.

 I still don't think it was worth what I went through, but I am glad I am doing what I am.

No comments: