Thursday, June 20, 2013

My first workshop at PACE for parents and children: I Am A SCIENTIST

June 19

Last evening was my last of five workshop: science for parents and children, I am a SCIENTIST, at the PACE building in Parker.

Starting with a session for parents only, I talked about ways in which they, as adult scientists, could work WITH their young scientists on scientific investigations and challenges.

Four classes later, I was delighted how the young scientists' excitement with the science challenges I provided grew when they investigated with their mums and dads, like scientists working in teams, the activities I set before them - all, incidentally, using recycled resources.

Class One focused on Making Things Fly, Class Two, Making Things Move, Class Three, Making Things Balance, Class Four, Collecting and Displaying rock, fossil and shell specimens, dissecting an owl pellet, and studying worms and pill bugs.

I gave a handout of the activities to the parents at the beginning of each class, began with a story or a demonstration, and then left the scientists to have fun.

Here are some of the photos taken during the last two classes:


I set out the activities and resources well before class begins

and load up a resource table near the front of the room


I start each session with a short chat - here I'm showing the kids a wish bone, telling them that dinosaurs, too, had wishbones - big ones!
and off they go - adult scientists working with young scientists








The Starbucks dragster













A question about beetlewood






Dissecting owl pellets




Looking at worms and pill bugs









Dating tree cuttings


The favorite science activities?
The Amazing Flip Flop, the Starbuck's Dragster, the Marble Run, the Helicopter, and the Rocket, searching for Wishing Rocks and Moondust, and, of course, dissecting an owl pellet!

No comments: