Saturday, March 9, 2013

Prejudice............1969

Reading today in the NYT of yet another vulgar, hurtful act of discrimination brought to mind an upsetting experience that happened way back in 1969. Here it is, and it describes a mountain hike with friends that turned into an embarassment.......and learning what it's like to be perceived as different.....

One beautiful bright and sunny Saturday, the Hawkins were up for a long hike along Boulder Creek. So, we, David, Frannie, their lawyer son-in-law, Henry, a visiting teacher from New York, James, and me, set out early in the morning.

We walked and we climbed and we talked and we laughed. We spotted butterflies and birds and flowers and rocks, and many other Mother Nature delights, teaching each other and learning from each other.

Eventually, we reached the nearest town.

Frannie suggested that we rested a while and then had a lunch in the local diner before wet set off down the canyon.

As we entered the diner's front door, me and our friend from New York were told we were not welcome in the restaurant.

Incredulous, we asked, "Why not?"

The receptionist stared at us both and said, "Out. OUT!! We don't serve long haired hippies (meaning me) and we don't serve the likes of you" (my friend).

Frannie, David and Henry protested loudly. I felt hurt, ashamed.......what had I done? Why couldn't I sit and eat like everyone else?

We made our way down the steep path, indignant about what had taken place. That night, Francois Ulam, wife of the Los Alamos mathematician, Stan, and a close friend of the Hawks, who wrote for the Boulder Camera, came for dinner. She heard about the day's events.

The story of what happened appeared in the next edition of the Camera. Then, using her real name, she wrote a letter to the editor!!
(Reader: I'll find it as I have  copy and scan it asap).

FOUND IT!!!!






1 comment:

John Paull said...

Hi John, I just don't have time during the week. That is why I am just now responding to your request for an e-mail. I loved hearing about all the people you met through CU and your experiences in the mountains. My grandparents had a cabin in Nederland while I was growing up so I remember Boulder Canyon very well. I remember them complaining about the hippies in the 1960's, but I was unaware that people were actually not being served in restaurants. I thought that only happened in the south. I know my grandparents didn't approve of racial segregation, and by the 1970's they were saying that it was good to develop relationships with the "long hairs." It probably helped that I was wearing my hair long as was my father and most of the newscasters. I am looking forward to reading the article from the Camera.

Also I have been hoping to hear some good news about Matilda. I hope she is learning to adapt. Let me know.

Sam