Monday, May 7, 2018

My senior scientists classes........









.................My Senior Scientists classes





As I got to know some of the people who come to the local Senior Center, I soon learned that many were retired scientists, professors, and teachers. Some of the scientists had worked at Los Alamos, home of the wartime Manhattan Bomb project.

On sharing my background as a teacher of children, teacher of teachers, story teller, I was asked to arrange a science class.....................I did, and, much to my surprise and delight,  it flew!

This morning's class, May 7th, the 11th class so far, focused first on me opening slowly one of my pocket museums, sharing information about local spiders and ants, and then,  I set up and resourced a couple of hands-on activities, including building towers from small glass jars, then marsh mallows and toothpicks..........


And, to my delight, they had a great time, working with each other, talking, joking, and building fabulous skyscrapers.

I ended the 90 minute session with the senior scientists making flip-flops, an easily-made science toy that I said they could/should share with their great grandchildren and/or their cat(s)!!

Now, as we've had sessions on fossils, gemstones, local snakes, wild flowers, bark beetles, garden birds, rodents, what shall we do next week????????

Someting will come to me and I'll gather all the resources necessary, and, hey, I hope, have another fun class. I so enjoy working with the senior scientists.........






‘Curiosity is the cure for boredom. There’s no cure for curiosity.’
Dorothy Parker

Science and Nature class


Mondays at 10.00
In the Senior Center library


ALL welcome!!






No comments: