Sunday, October 19, 2014

Response to my post on Frank Oppenheimer

From The Exploratorium!!

Dear John,

Wow, thank you so much for sharing your words and experiences!  They were very touching.  

I grew up in the Bay Area and was familiar with the Exploratorium as a young student, but I only just started working here this summer.  What I've learned of Frank and the history of the museum has deeply affected me.  There are still people around who worked with him, and it's an honor to serve alongside them in this special place.  I've never been part of an organization quite like the Exploratorium; Frank certainly left a unique legacy, to say the very least.

Would you mind if I shared your message with our staff?

Thanks for reaching out.

Best,
Kristal

----
Kristal Ip
Project Coordinator
Teacher Institute

e x p l O r a t o r i u m
Piers 15/17
San Francisco, CA 94111
And another, from my friend, Dick,

Hi John,

Your blog entry on Frank Oppenheimer reads really well and I'm not just saying that!

It conveys your excitement and enthusiasm and makes me want to meet Frank, that not being possible, read his book. I've met 'really' bright people in my career in fact the guy who taught me to sail was Professor of Naval Architecture at one of the Glasgow Universities, a friend and neighbour and one of the brightest people I have ever met. It astonished me how he seemed to instinctively know how to strip down and repair a diesel engine, navigate a boat from Nice to Greece explain what a Higgs boson was years before it was flavour of the month and many etcs.

You have been super privileged to have met and discussed with such an astonishing group of guys, wish I had been there. I love the multi hanging ball pendulum videos myself and was just showing Mae one from You Tube last week.

I look forward to reading the book when it comes.

Best wishes

No comments: