Friday, December 20, 2013

Some of THE best articles - in my opinion - on The Open Education Era, 1960s/1970s


Hey, teachers and those interested in the current, prevailing challenges to public education that I have referred to regularly in my blog.......

I've just been sorting through all of my papers and have put together some really good articles on teaching and learning from the 1960s and 1970s.

I'm going to catalogue them as soon as I can and will put the list on my blog.

IF anyone is interested, for research or just would like to know how good the teaching and learning processes were, please email me and I will send you any copies you would like to read. Oh, I also could lend anyone a copy of Yesterday I found, an account of a UK teacher's classroom work in the 1960s.

The first article in my list with be the widely circulated Joseph Featherstone's articles in The New Republic.

OK, as soon as I have had yet another cup of tea, I will start sorting out the papers.........



David Hawkins.........my mentor, my inspiration, my friend......the night he showed me the featherstone article.


OK, here goes.........in chronological order, 
and, reader, please remember that these articles are MY favs and the originals are still in my possession:

  • The Primary School Revolution in Britain - Jay Featherstone
  • Come into the garden, Maude - John Paull :)
  • Messing about in science - David Hawkins
  • I, Thou and It - David Hawkins
  • A bird in the window - David Hawkins
  • Square Two, Square Three - David Hawkins
  • Statement on Environmental Education - David Hawkins
  • Some thoughts on sciencing - Bill Browse
  • School needs and museums - John Paull
  • Leicestershire Revisited - Bill Hull
  • A little bit of chaos - Beatrice and Ronald Gross
  • Some problems in developing an 'open-education' classroom - Elwyn Richardson
  • An Experience in Froebel's garden - Elizabeth Cole
  • Teachers' Centers - a British first - Stephen Bailey 
  • Starting off - September in an OPEN classroom - Maja Apelman
  • Scafolding children's learning - Laura Berk and Adam Winsler
  • Education through the environment - John Paull
  • The Exploratorium - Frank Oppenheimer
  • Open Education Revisited - Lydia Smith

  • and three books:

  • The Informed vision - David Hawkins
  • How children fail - John Holt
  • Yesterday I found -  John and Dorothy Paull




No comments: