Sunday, July 14, 2013

July 14th, 2013...........I'm 71 today.....

Hey, hey.........I made it...............that's not bad, given that longevity is hardly a characteristic in my family. Neither the Wilkes ( my mother's side) or the Paulls have much of a record to getting past 60.

Today will start with a walk in the woods to see what I can find, then a Starbucks, followed by a visit to Home Depot, then an hour or two of gardening - well, nothing exciting, just mainly tidying up from yet another construction project. A small wall made from  has created a nice dividing line between our home and next door neighbor Ann's......and the new rock facia on the front and side has added a touch to the view of the house from the top of the garden.

And, when that is done, we're having dinner with our neighbors, Kim and Carole and their wonderful doggie, Betty the Great.

I'm looking forward to everything - and especially that.

The day started well........Momma brought her babe to see me....


First prezzie from Matilda........



JUST what I wanted and just what I needed - hat and T shirt! Thank you, Princess.

Matilda was tickled pink that I liked her prezzie, but couldn't quite make the opening-of-the-bag ceremony


Then I opened the goodee bag I bought yesterday in the antique shop in Leadville,,,,,I found a very old packet of matches, two used bullets (!) and a really old and interesting advertising brooch with an old penny inside.
The FF preparing the birthday breakfast.......bacon, potatoes, eggs, croissants, and bacon.......and bacon..
Grilled to perfection
Then, THE brekkie appeared on the table with a fab cup of tea!!!



and was quickly devoured!!
It was so good I felt like Oliver Twist.........'is there anymore, please?"

Then, a walk to the nearby woods...........


The prickly pear was in full bloom.....

and we soon spotted a deer having a quiet nap in the shade


Amidst all of the beauty of the wild countryside, we came across  plenty of litter thrown to the ground by one or two  inconsiderate morons. I mean, smoking and carelessly throwing away cigarettes ends? Sipping gin and chucking the plastic bottle in the nearest bush? Crushing soda cans? C'mon.......

The beautiful yucca...continues to bloom, though..thank goodness.

and so does the Indian Paintbrush
Then off to Starbucks, Home Depot, and, finally, home. We fiddled in the garden for a bit, picking up a few unwanted weeds and greasses......and Jeannine spotted the most beautiful model Owl sitting near an old tree stump..........now I wonder who put such a beautiful replica of the Great Horned Owl that often comes and visits our back garden in the side garden? Mmmmm.......I wonder.........

Tired, I sat with Matilda and we watched my favorite film, Notting Hill.


At 6 pm, we got dressed up and we went to neighbor's Kim and Carol's for my birthday bash.....joined by Betty, of course....and I discovered who, indeed, had so carefully placed the owl in the garden.........K and C and B, of course!!











Finally, after great chat and great food and great wine, we called it a day.................

When we got home, I had two more prezzies - a super pair of hiking shoes and a green shirt! Just what I wanted, needed and hoped for !


And money for more APPS!!!!


A great day. Thank you, one and all.









No comments: